Spirited Sweet Potato Casserole
Makes 8 Servings
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons reduced-calorie margarine
- 1/3 cup 1% low-fat or skim milk
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons bourbon or apple juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake potatoes 50 to 60 minutes or until very tender. Cool 10 minutes; leave oven on. Scoop pulp from warm potatoes into large bowl; discard potato skins. Add margarine to bowl; mash with potato masher until potatoes are fairly smooth and margarine has melted. Stir in milk, brown sugar, bourbon, cinnamon and vanilla; mix well.
- Beat egg white with electric mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Add salt; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into sweet potato mixture.
- Spray 1 1/2-quart soufflé dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon sweet potato mixture into dish; top with pecans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until casserole is puffed and pecans are toasted. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)
- Calories: 203 (21% from fat)
- Total Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: Trace
- Sodium: 202mg
- Carbohydrate: 35g
- Dietary Fiber: Trace
- Protein: 3g
Recipe Courtesy of: Diabetic Recipes for the Holidays ©2004 LW Press, a division of Publications International, Ltd. ISBN: 1-4127-2140-7