Savory Brown Rice
Makes 4 Servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup portabella mushrooms, rinsed, halved, then thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, rinsed and finely diced
- 2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup instant brown rice, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup dried parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- In a 4-quart saucepan, warm olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, mushrooms, and celery.
- Cook and stir for 5–7 minutes, until all vegetables are soft, but not brown.
- Stir in the chicken broth, brown rice, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Cover. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cook according to brown rice package directions, about 5–10 minutes.
- Drain off any excess liquid. Fluff with a fork. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)
- Calories 246
- Total Fat 5g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 2mg
- Sodium 221mg
- Total Fiber 4g
- Protein 7g
- Carbohydrates 43g
- Potassium 314mg
Recipe Courtesy of: hp2010.nhlbihin.net/healthyeating/recipedetail.aspx?linkId=1&cId=8&rId=57