Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Makes 10 Servings
- 2 large heads garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Slice about 1/4-inch off the top of the garlic heads, throw the tops away, and place heads on a piece of foil. Drizzle olive oil over the top of the garlic heads and wrap them well in the foil. Bake until tender and golden, (about 35-45 minutes). Remove from oven and let stand until cool enough to handle. Peel the skin away from the garlic cloves.
- Add the garlic cloves to a small nonstick saucepan along with the fat-free half-and-half. Simmer the mixture over medium heat until cream is hot. Reduce heat, cover the pan and continue to simmer for a couple of more minutes. Turn the heat off and lift out the garlic cloves with a slotted spoon, place in custard cup, and set aside. Leave the saucepan with half-and-half on the stove until needed.
- Place quartered potatoes in a large stockpot, cover with cold salted water, and bring to a boil. Cook until very tender, about 12 minutes. Drain potato pieces in a colander.
- Add hot, steaming, and drained potato pieces directly to a large mixing bowl and beat on low while you slowly pour in the fat-free half-and-half. Season with salt and pepper if desired and gently stir in the roasted garlic cloves. Serve!
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)
- 200 Calories
- 7 g protein
- 45 g carbohydrate
- 0.7 g fat (0.1 g saturated fat)
- 1 mg cholesterol
- 3 g fiber
- 55 mg sodium
- Calories from fat: 3 percent
Recipe Courtesy of: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=78928