The Color Purple. Scientists believe that eating purple fruit and vegetables may help ward off age-related diseases such as Alzheimer’s and heart problems.
- Main Dishes
- Sizzled Green Beans with Crispy Prosciutto & Pine Nuts
- Spicy Tuna Wrap
- Chicken Breast & Mushroom Cream Sauce
- Chipotle-Orange Broccoli
- Sweet-and-Sour Chicken
- Broiled Sirloin with Spicy Mustard and Apple Chutney
- Greek-style Flank Steak with Tangy Yogurt Sauce
- Corn and Black Bean Burritos
- Chicken Quesadillas with Red and Green Salsa
- Cocoa-spiced Beef Tenderloin with Pineapple Salsa
- Hazelnut-Coated Salmon Steaks
- Mustard-Crusted Roast Pork
- Chicken Dijon
- Salads and Dressings
- Side Dishes
Makes 2 Servings
6 cups mixed, salad
1 cup shredded carrots
2 tablespoons red onion, chopped
1/4 cup dressing, such as Creamy Dill Ranch Dressing (recipe follows)
10 cherry tomatoes
4 slices roast turkey breast, cut up (3 ounces)
2 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese, cut up (2 ounces)
- Toss greens, carrots, onion and dressing in a large bowl until coated.
- Divide between 2 plates.
- Arrange tomatoes, turkey and cheese on top of the salad.
Per serving: 180 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 6 g fiber; 757 mg sodium; 956 mg potassium.
Creamy Dill Ranch Dressing (To go with Eating Well Power Salad)
1 small shallot, peeled
3/4 cup nonfat cottage cheese
1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 tablespoons buttermilk powder, (see Note)
2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
1/4 cup nonfat milk
1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- With the food processor running, add shallot through the feed tube and process until finely chopped.
- Add cottage cheese, mayonnaise, buttermilk powder and vinegar. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary, about 3 minutes.
- Pour in milk while the processor is running. Scrape down the sides, add dill, salt and pepper and process until combined.
Note: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week. Look for buttermilk powder, such as Saco Buttermilk Blend, in the baking section or with the powdered milk in most supermarkets.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 19 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 125 mg sodium; 10 mg potassium.
Recipe Courtesy Of: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/eatingwell_power_salad.html
Recipe Courtesy of: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/creamy_dill_ranch_dressing.html