Terrific Turmeric. Long known for its anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric’s medicinal properties are the focus of some promising studies.
- Main Dishes
- Sweet-and-Sour Chicken
- Broiled Sirloin with Spicy Mustard and Apple Chutney
- Greek-style Flank Steak with Tangy Yogurt Sauce
- Corn and Black Bean Burritos
- Chicken Quesadillas with Red and Green Salsa
- Cocoa-spiced Beef Tenderloin with Pineapple Salsa
- Hazelnut-Coated Salmon Steaks
- Mustard-Crusted Roast Pork
- Chicken Dijon
- Salads and Dressings
- Side Dishes
Makes 8 Servings
1 pound ground sirloin (around 6%-9% fat), or ground turkey with around 6% fat (Use tofu or soy instead of sirloin if you desire a meatless soup.)
1 cup chopped onions
1 16-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
8 ounces canned tomato sauce
2 cups water
2 14.5-ounce cans peeled and diced tomatoes
1 4-ounce can diced green chilies (buy mild, if you prefer)
1 ounce packet taco seasoning mix
1 cup shredded, reduced-fat cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- In a medium skillet, cook the ground sirloin or turkey over medium heat until browned. Drain, and set aside.
- Place the ground meat, onion, pinto beans, kidney beans, corn, tomato sauce, water, diced tomatoes, green chilies, and taco seasoning mix in a slow cooker. Mix to blend, and cook on Low setting for 8 hours.
- Ladle into individual serving bowls, and top each with 1/8 cup shredded cheese and a tablespoon of fat-free sour cream. Serve with homemade flour tortillas.
Per serving: 288 calories, 20 g protein, 37 g carbohydrate, 7 g fat, 2.7 g saturated fat, 24 mg cholesterol, 10 g fiber, 730 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 22%.
Recipe Courtesy of: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=59727