Pet a dog, hug your kids, and hold your spouse’s hand. Touch lowers blood pressure, raises neurotransmitter levels, and just makes you feel good.
- Main Dishes
- Sweet BBQ Chicken Kabobs
- Sizzled Green Beans with Crispy Prosciutto & Pine Nuts
- Spicy Tuna Wrap
- Chicken Breast & Mushroom Cream Sauce
- Chipotle-Orange Broccoli
- Sweet-and-Sour Chicken
- Broiled Sirloin with Spicy Mustard and Apple Chutney
- Greek-style Flank Steak with Tangy Yogurt Sauce
- Corn and Black Bean Burritos
- Chicken Quesadillas with Red and Green Salsa
- Cocoa-spiced Beef Tenderloin with Pineapple Salsa
- Hazelnut-Coated Salmon Steaks
- Mustard-Crusted Roast Pork
- Chicken Dijon
- Salads and Dressings
- Side Dishes
Makes 4 Servings
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
6 cups 98% fat-free, no-salt-added canned chicken broth
1 medium red skinned potato, scrubbed and diced
1/4 cup dried split peas
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried basil
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
1 small bay leaf
1 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 large ripe plum tomato, seeded and diced
1 cup cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup chopped cooked turkey meat or chicken breast
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (optional)
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Sauté until onion is wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir in chicken broth.
- Raise heat and add potato, split peas, basil, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf. Stir in zucchini, tomato, cannellini beans, and turkey. Simmer, uncovered, another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle into soup bowl. If using, sprinkle each serving with parsley and then some of the grated cheese. Serve hot.
226 calories (16% calories from fat), 20 g protein, 4 g total fat (0.9 g saturated fat), 26 g carbohydrates, 7 g dietary fiber, 27 mg cholesterol, 253 mg sodium
Recipe Courtesy of: http://www.diabetic-recipes.com/recipes/dec99_2.1.htm