Terrific Turmeric. Long known for its anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric’s medicinal properties are the focus of some promising studies.
- Main Dishes
- Sizzled Green Beans with Crispy Prosciutto & Pine Nuts
- Spicy Tuna Wrap
- Chicken Breast & Mushroom Cream Sauce
- Chipotle-Orange Broccoli
- Sweet-and-Sour Chicken
- Broiled Sirloin with Spicy Mustard and Apple Chutney
- Greek-style Flank Steak with Tangy Yogurt Sauce
- Corn and Black Bean Burritos
- Chicken Quesadillas with Red and Green Salsa
- Cocoa-spiced Beef Tenderloin with Pineapple Salsa
- Hazelnut-Coated Salmon Steaks
- Mustard-Crusted Roast Pork
- Chicken Dijon
- Salads and Dressings
- Side Dishes
Makes 6 Servings
1 teaspoon olive oil
3 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth (or low-sodium vegetable broth)
1-1/2 pounds green beans, ends trimmed
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
Salt and ground black pepper
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Combine oil, garlic, thyme and cayenne together in a 12-inch nonstick skillet and cook over medium heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the broth and add the green beans. Increase heat to medium-high, cover and cook until beans are tender with a light crunch in the center, about 6 to 9 minutes.
- Push the green beans to one side of the skillet. Whisk the cornstarch and water together, then pour into the empty side of the skillet and bring to a simmer, about 30 seconds. Toss the sauce with the green beans and continue to cook, uncovered, until the green beans are tender and the sauce has thickened, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from heat, stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese before serving.
Per serving: Calories: 60, Fat: 1.5g, Saturated Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0g, Carbohydrate 9g, Protein: 3g, Fiber: 4g, Sodium: 140mg
Recipe Courtesy of: The Best Light Recipe ©2006 by the Editors of Cools Illustrated, ISBN: 0-936184-97-3