It’s never too late to find a primary care physician.
- Main Dishes
- Sweet BBQ Chicken Kabobs
- Sizzled Green Beans with Crispy Prosciutto & Pine Nuts
- Spicy Tuna Wrap
- Chicken Breast & Mushroom Cream Sauce
- Chipotle-Orange Broccoli
- Sweet-and-Sour Chicken
- Broiled Sirloin with Spicy Mustard and Apple Chutney
- Greek-style Flank Steak with Tangy Yogurt Sauce
- Corn and Black Bean Burritos
- Chicken Quesadillas with Red and Green Salsa
- Cocoa-spiced Beef Tenderloin with Pineapple Salsa
- Hazelnut-Coated Salmon Steaks
- Mustard-Crusted Roast Pork
- Chicken Dijon
- Salads and Dressings
- Side Dishes
Makes 8 Servings
2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons reduced-calorie margarine
1/3 cup 1% low-fat or skim milk
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons bourbon or apple juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake potatoes 50 to 60 minutes or until very tender. Cool 10 minutes; leave oven on. Scoop pulp from warm potatoes into large bowl; discard potato skins. Add margarine to bowl; mash with potato masher until potatoes are fairly smooth and margarine has melted. Stir in milk, brown sugar, bourbon, cinnamon and vanilla; mix well.
- Beat egg white with electric mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Add salt; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into sweet potato mixture.
- Spray 1 1/2-quart soufflé dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon sweet potato mixture into dish; top with pecans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until casserole is puffed and pecans are toasted. Serve immediately.
Per Serving: Calories: 203 (21% from fat), Total Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: Trace, Sodium: 202mg, Carbohydrate: 35g, Dietary Fiber: Trace, Protein: 3g
Recipe Courtesy of: Diabetic Recipes for the Holidays ©2004 LW Press, a division of Publications International, Ltd. ISBN: 1-4127-2140-7