Couscous with Carrots, Walnuts and Raisins
Makes 4 Servings
- 1 cup couscous (try whole wheat couscous)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
- 11/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1⁄2 cup carrots, rinsed, peeled, and shredded or thinly sliced; cut in half
- In a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir couscous, olive oil, walnuts, salt, pepper, and spice just until couscous begins to brown.
- Slowly add water, then raisins and carrots. Cover. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Remove from the heat, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork. Serve immediately.
- Calories 218
- Total Fat 4g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 155mg
- Total Fiber 3g
- Protein 6g
- Carbohydrates 39g
- Potassium 168mg
Recipe Courtesy of: hp2010.nhlbihin.net/healthyeating/recipedetail.aspx?cId=8&rId=56