Corn and Black Bean Burritos
Makes 12 Servings
- 1⁄4 cup scallions (green onions), rinsed and sliced into 1⁄4-inch wide circles, including green tops
- 1⁄4 cup celery, rinsed and finely diced
- 11⁄4 cup frozen yellow corn
- 1⁄2 ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (or substitute 2 teaspoons dried coriander)
- 1 can (15.8oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup salsa or taco sauce (look for lowest sodium version)
- 12 (9-inch) whole-wheat tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine scallions, celery, and corn in a small saucepan. Add just enough water to cover.
- Cover, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes, until vegetables soften. Drain vegetables. Set aside to cool.
- Combine avocado, cilantro, and beans in a large mixing bowl.
- Add cheese and salsa, and mix.
- When corn mixture has cooled slightly, add to avocado mixture.
- In a large nonstick pan over medium heat, warm each tortilla for about 15 seconds on each side. Place each tortilla on a flat surface.
- Spoon 1/3 cup of the mixture into the center of the tortilla. Fold the top and bottom of the tortilla over the filling. Fold in the sides to make a closed packet.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- When all tortillas are wrapped, continue heating in the oven 5 minutes, until all are warm and cheese is melted.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)
- Calories 189
- Total Fat 3g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 257mg
- Total Fiber 3g
- Protein 8g
- Carbohydrates 34g
- Potassium 204mg
Recipe Courtesy of: hp2010.nhlbihin.net/healthyeating/recipedetail.aspx?cId=0&rId=44