Cocoa-spiced Beef Tenderloin with Pineapple Salsa
Makes 4 Servings
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 beef tenderloin roast (16oz)
- 1/2 cup canned diced pineapple, in fruit juice, chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 cup red onion, mince
- 2 teaspoon fresh cilantro, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or substitute 1⁄4 teaspoon dried coriander)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- For the salsa, combine all ingredients and toss well. Let sit for 10–15 minutes to marinate while preparing the seasoning and cooking the meat.
- For the beef tenderloin seasoning, combine all ingredients. Lightly oil the tenderloin and spread an even layer of the dry seasoning over the entire roast.
- Place the seasoned roast on a roasting or broiling pan and roast for 10–15 minutes (to a minimum internal temperature of 145°F). Let cool for 5 minutes before carving into 16 slices (1 ounce each).
- Serve four slices of the tenderloin with 1⁄4 cup salsa on the side.
- Calories 215
- Total Fat 9g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 67mg
- Sodium 226 mg
- Total fiber 2g
- Protein 25g
- Carbohydrates 9g
- Potassium 451mg