Makes 8 Servings
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 large tomatoes (or 2 cups canned, unsalted tomatoes)
- 4 cups canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder or to taste
- Water, as desired
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- Jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped, as desired
- In a soup pot, add the ground beef and onion. Over medium heat saute until the meat is browned and the onion is translucent. Drain well.
- Add the tomatoes, kidney beans, celery, sugar and chili powder to the ground beef mixture. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Uncover and add water to desired consistency. Stir in cornmeal. Cook for at least 10 minutes more to allow the flavors to blend.
- Ladle into warmed bowls and garnish with jalapeno peppers, if desired. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)
- Calories: 254
- Total Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
- Sodium: 348mg
- Carbohydrate: 27g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 20g
Recipe Courtesy of: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-recipes/NU00487