Chicken Quesadillas with Red and Green Salsa
Makes 4 Servings
- 4 medium tomatoes, rinsed and diced (about 2 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup red onion
- 1 diced medium Jalapeno chili pepper rinsed and split lengthwise – remove seeds and white membrane, and mince (about 2 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoon lime juice (or about 4 limes)
- 2 tablespoon fresh cilantro, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or substitute 2 teaspoons dried coriander)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 4 (10-inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili sauce
- ½ cup pepper jack cheese, shredded (about 2oz)
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
- Cooking spray (optional)
- Preheat oven broiler on high temperature, with the rack 3 inches from heat source.
- For the salsa, combine all ingredients and toss well. Chill in refrigerator for at least 15 minutes. (Salsa can be made up to 1 day in advance and refrigerated.)
- Cut chicken into thin strips, and place them on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Broil for 8–10 minutes.
- To assemble the quesadillas, place four whole wheat tortillas on the countertop or table.
- Top each with one-quarter of the sliced cooked chicken, salt, chili sauce, cheese, and pine nuts (optional).
- Fold tortillas in half to close, and carefully transfer each to a baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper.
- Bake quesadillas at 350°F for 5–10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve one quesadilla with 1⁄2 cup salsa on the side.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)
- Calories 339
- Total Fat 11g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 62mg
- Sodium 453mg
- Total Fiber 4g
- Protein 26g
- Carbohydrates 32g
- Potassium 454mg