Volunteering Makes the Heart Grow Stronger
At Wayne Memorial Hospital, volunteers are an essential part of our healthcare system. It is their caring and generous spirits that make a difference every day. Each year, over 140 compassionate volunteers in Goldsboro, NC donate over 20,000 hours serving as liaisons between families and staff to lower anxiety levels, collating and filing documents, working in the gift shop, or serving as a guide to our guests. From customer service duties to clerical support, schedules are very flexible, and the rewards are plentiful.
Enhancing the experience for our patients and their families can mean healthy rewards for you, as well. Research has shown a significant connection between volunteering and good health. Volunteers have greater longevity, higher functional ability, lower rates of depression and less incidence of heart disease.
Whether you’re a retiree with extra time or someone wanting to give back to the Wayne County community, you too can make a difference.
How Do I Become a Volunteer at Wayne Memorial Hospital?
To apply to be a volunteer at Wayne Memorial, you have several options:
- Download, print and mail in an application (linked below)
- Call 919.731.6353 to request an application
Once your application has been reviewed and outstanding references have been received, you will be contacted to meet with our office to determine if a mutually beneficial relationship will result from you joining our program. During the interview, together we will determine which area you will be best suited to support.
Volunteer Processing will also include:
- Tuberculosis (TB) Skin Test and Immunization Review
- Criminal Background Check
- Orientation (3 hours)
- Departmental Training
- Annual Education and TB Compliance
Wayne Memorial Hospital Junior Volunteer Program
Junior Volunteers can take advantage of an excellent opportunity to serve their fellow man while exploring careers, gaining valuable experience and making a difference in the lives of others.
- JV’s (junior volunteers) must be ages 15–18 years old when the program begins (mid June)
- Must have completed 8th grade when program begins
- High maturity and commitment level
- 2.5 GPA in the most current school year with no failing grade
Information about the upcoming program is mailed to interested parties on April 1 of each year. Applicants have an entire month to complete the application, references, essay, and photocopies of grades and immunizations. The package of information is due to Volunteer Services by April 30.
Students selected for the program will have one or two (1 or 2) four-hour assignments each week. The assignments will remain the same during the eight weeks of the program. Most students serve in one nursing area and one clerical area.
Listed below is a sampling of the duties JV’s perform during the summer program:
- Assisting with the discharge process by transporting patients by wheelchair
- Delivering mail to patients
- Assisting clinical staff by making beds, refilling water pitchers, answering patients’ “call” bell, and providing nourishment to patients
- Assisting with clerical responsibilities such as copying, filing, typing, collating, answering telephones, etc.
The following departments have sponsored JV’s in the past; however, this list changes each summer.
- Day Surgery
- Diabetes Clinic
- Information Desk
- Nursing Units
- Recovery Room
- Rehab Services
- Sunshine Corner Gift Shop
How to Apply
Email your name, mailing address, email address and phone number to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wayne Memorial Hospital is proud to serve the Wayne County community with exceptional medical services, thanks to our dedicated full-time staff and volunteer staff in Goldsboro, NC.